Copper is a mineral that is essential to human life, and adequate levels are usually attainable with a healthy diet.
Copper deficiency is rare as it is fairly common in the foodstream and requirements are low. Copper poisoning can cause vomiting, low blood pressure, and gastrointestinal issues; long-term exposure can damage liver and kidneys. High levels of copper within the body is associated with Alzheimer’s disease, though a causal link is not yet confirmed.
Copper toxicity may be a risk if you make use of unlined, or worn-down, copper cooking implements, particularly if they maintain contact with acidic foods. Exercise caution with copper bowls and pots that have been used for awhile, or come from yard sales.
Seafood, organ meats, nuts, legumes
Food Standards Agency
Retinning and Copper Repair